Saturday, January 27, 2007

Clutch control

I struggle a lot with my clutch control. The car seems to cut out all the time when I try and pull away. Do you have any suggestions?

Learning clutch control is probably one of the most important aspects of the whole driving experience. The main cause of stalling the vehicle is either too much clutch or too little petrol.

The way I teach clutch control would be to select your gear (the handbrake would of course be up to prevent rolling). Press on the accelerator first to get the engine to run at a higher idling speed. Keep it at a constant idle speed. Listen out for the sound of the engine that you are not giving too much petrol. Now start adding the clutch to where you feel a tugging on the vehicle as if it wants to move. Now keep the clutch steady, release the handbrake and the car will move away. Only add more clutch once the car has started moving. Once it has moved away take your foot completely off the clutch and away you go.

3 comments:

  1. Really a good idea.. I was really confused to adjust for different models of cars of my friends.. By doing this we can notice the exact biting point as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if u give too much petrol in incline

    ReplyDelete
  3. The incline start is all about clutch control and vehicle control. There is nothing wrong with giving too much petrol, the most important thing here is control. My advice would be to practice, practice, practice. You want to be revving your engine to overcome the gradient of the incline when you move off, over-revving could cause you to move off at a high speed, which could cause you to lose control of the vehicle. I remember my incline start was at a small testing yard with a right turn right after the incline. I literally just had to get to the top and then start slowing down again for the turn, otherwise I would have gone through a wall. The hints at the top should help while practicing. Press down on the accelerator to rev your engine up to a higher speed. Keep the accelerator at a constant speed, the vehicle I used had a rev counter, so I could gauge at what rev mark I want to keep constant everytime. Release the clutch slowly, until you can feel the car wanting to move forward. Hold your clutch there and release the handbrake and your car will start moving up the hill. Once your car starts moving off slowly release your clutch completely.

    ReplyDelete