Monday, January 15, 2007

Can I have a backseat driver?

Hi John. Is it possible that when I do my drivers test, that my father can sit in the back of the car ? I am a very nervous person and would feel more at ease if I had someone I know be there while I do my test.

I have had situations where a parent of one of my learners has gone along for a lesson. When it comes to a drivers test, nobody except a member of the Inspectorate of drivers licences or an examiner who is undergoing training under the supervision of a qualified examiner may be in the vehicle while a drivers test is being done.

Very often learners become familiar with their instructors and are more relaxed with them than with strangers. To help overcome your fear, I would suggest that you ask your instructor to book a lesson with another instructor in their driving school nearer to your actual test date. His person could put you through your paces and even do a mock test with you. At least then you will have an idea of the type of pressure you may experience during the actual drivers test when the examiner is a stranger. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Probably best to ask your driving instruction/examiner who is going to take the test. Maybe they will let you.

    ReplyDelete